FACT ABOUT BLOOD NEEDS
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2015. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
I give every four months. You should too. For my readers, one note, you have to be disease free to give. Raise your hand if you are disease free. Put your hand down, I can’t see you. Good, now go give and save a life.
Click on this link to locate your nearest Red Cross and make an appointment today.